Icon Cancer Care Adelaide offers a comprehensive patient education service for patients prior to the commencement of their treatment.
These sessions are conducted by our specialist Haematology /Oncology nurses.
- Your doctor will speak with you prior to the commencement of your chemotherapy treatment. This is a good opportunity for you to ask any questions and to ask for any scripts you require.
- Treatment time will vary depending on the drugs used.
- Family and friends are welcome to stay with you whilst you are undergoing treatment.
- Please advise our nursing staff if you need to use the bathroom during treatment. The IV poles are on wheels and can easily be moved.
- As some of the drugs used may affect driving. Please check with your doctor or our nursing staff to ensure it is safe for you to drive home after your treatment.
- You can eat and drink normally prior to and during your treatment. Tea, coffee juice, sandwiches and other refreshments are provided by Icon Cancer Care for Adelaide Cancer Centre patients.
- An intravenous drip will be inserted into your arm by one of our experienced nursing staff for the administration of drugs during your treatment. A blood test may also be taken at this time.
- You are considered an inpatient when having treatment at Icon Cancer Care and health fund excesses or co-payments may apply. The Icon Cancer Care staff will perform an eligibility check with your health fund and you will be advised prior to your admission if any out of pocket costs are required to be paid.
- You may need to wait for blood results prior to treatment to ensure your blood counts are at a satisfactory level. Blood results can take up to 1.5 hours.
- Prior to your discharge your drip will be removed. If it is your first treatment, you will be asked to contact our nursing staff the following day to check how you are feeling.
- If you are using the Paxman Cold Cap Therapy System to help reduce hair loss, the first of these caps will be fitted prior to your chemotherapy treatment commencing to cooling process.
- Please feel free to call our nurses at any time to discuss any concerns you have relating to your treatment on 8292 2333
- You will have an anti-nausea medication prior to treatment. This may be given via your drip or taken orally. Please remember to bring anti-nausea drugs with you each time you visit the Centre.
- For further information please contact the nursing staff at Icon Cancer Care Adelaide on 8292 2333